Thursday, September 30, 2010

taff and sonkoi visit from africa

My dad's sister is one of my favorite people on earth. She is so wise, has amazing street smarts, always the right thing to say, and mostly I have always admired her for not being afraid to go out into the world and do whatever it is she wants to accomplish without hesitation. (We call her Taff because she loved Taffy as a kid, and it's always stuck! And my dad's brother has always been "Malt" to us because he loved malts growing up! How funny! And I don't even think of that when they're around, they just are Taff and Malt!)

Until recently, when Kenya started getting very violent due to the droughts and lack of food, Taff and her husband, Sonkoi, have been living there in a house they built by hand, giving tours to visitors, raising cows, and building a rhino sanctuary.

Sonkoi is an elder in the Masai Tribe, and we sit for hours listening to his stories of lion-hunting, rituals, and ceremonies when they visit. I SO wish I could get past my fear of traveling and being away from US medical availability (sparked from my 4-year bought with kidney problems, infections, stones, and IC), because visiting them in Africa would be the trip of an absolute lifetime. Maybe someday.... with lots of Zanax!
The Sherman family got together for a cookout to visit!


We LOVE you, Taff and Sonkoi! Thanks for stopping to visit us while staying in the US for awhile!!! :)

No comments: