Thursday, November 13, 2008

a very long couple of weeks

We'll start with the election! The clock above is 5:44 AM.....yes, the time we left the house in the morning to go wait in a 2 hour line on election day!!!

We have been so busy getting into the new studio that time slipped away and we never made it to vote prior to election day, so we were faced with guessing the best time to go. And we had Sammi with us all day. Hmmm....we opted for first thing in the morning and I'm not sure it was the best time, but it didn't matter....there was something really fun and exciting about being a part of something so big and special in our nation. Being there so early only made it seem that much more special. :)

We kept Sammi busy with breakfast and games on our iPhones! One more reason to love the iPhone!!! :) Considering that we woke her up and waited in a freezing cold line (why did I think we'd be waiting inside???), she was an angel!!!!! 
Next I will mention the studio. It's just a funny thing how things work out. I really don't believe in coincidences...I do believe that everything happens for a reason and that even when things seem so frustrating....there is a bigger more important picture happening. 

Our studio was on track to be done in time all the way up to our inspection. For 6 months our construction people worked their tails off to get us in on time and then.......NOPE. One thing after the next after the next......For example: When the fire marshall did his inspection he noticed we had a security/fire monitoring system wired in our building for future installation. He told us that we are not required to have the system, but if it is wired, it has to be installed and actively working before we are allowed a permit. Huh? So, again, we were rushing around trying to find the security company that could get out the fastest and begging our electric technician (who is awesome, by the way) to work all weekend to install all of the necessary parts to make the system work. This was just one hiccup. We went through 3 inspections before actually receiving our  permit to move in which put us in 2 weeks late. 

I HAVE TO mention that in the meantime, Dan's dad and uncle came into town and with my dad, dan's brother Steve and wife Krystal, we got everything moved out of the old place! Our dads and uncle worked SO HARD sanding, painting, and installing baseboards and working on our place. My mom helped out watching Sammi a TON and we are finally moved in officially this week! We are still living out of boxes, still have no TV or internet, no kitchen, can't put the hardwood floors in until January because the moisture tests came back so wet, and barely have enough furniture, but we are there and WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad has been painting a couple hours everyday for us and Dan's parents are both coming down all weekend to help us continue to get settled. We are so lucky we have such amazing families.

We had 5 PHOTO SESSIONS scheduled that we had to change or move because of the last minute frustrations with the inspection!!! However, going back to the everything happens for a reason thing....those shoots that we rescheduled were scheduled for this week and I ended up in the hospital...
On Monday morning I woke up having some bladder infection symptoms and by about 9am I was sure I was having another kidney infection. The pain in my back was becoming increasingly unbearable. I called my doctor and she got me right in. What I thought would be a quick trip in to confirm with her my kidney infection and get a prescription written (followed by lots and lots of rest and fluids at home) turned out to be much more of an ordeal. 

My tests were showing no signs of infection but there was blood in my urine so Dr. Pease wanted me to go upstairs to the hospital so that we could check on the baby and make sure things were okay. 
The monitor was showing that I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart and didn't even know it. It took three tries and some bruising to get the IV in that would give me 4 liters of IV fluids because my body was so dehydrated (not sure how that happened) over the next 13 hours or so. It took hydration plus two rounds of medicine to stop the contractions, but the pain was still a mystery. An ultrasound on my kidneys showed no stones, although they said that wasn't the best way to check for stones, only the safest for pregnancy.

After I got 2 rounds of nubane for pain, then 2 vicadins for pain, then 2 rounds of morphine, lots of throwing up, a final “cocktail” went into my IV to knock me out so that I could go home and try to sleep a little. My doctor respected the fact that we are "self-pay" and every minute there was costing us $$$$. There was not much else they could do once they got the contractions to stop. It was either a muscle issue in my back or a kidney stone. I slept okay on the drugs, then started having major "attacks" of pain on Tuesday afternoon. Around 9pm I passed a kidney stone. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. However, once it was gone, the pain went away completely!!!! I've been a little sore and very tired all week, but so thankful the baby is doing well and that (at least for now----cross your fingers and say a little prayer for me please) that I am feeling back to myself! I have an appointment with Dr. Pease tomorrow morning so I can make sure everything is back to normal.

A special thanks to mom and dad for picking up Sammi from school Monday, keeping her all night and all day Tuesday for me. We appreciate it so much and are so glad you're here! 

The nurses and my doctor(s) and the hospital (where I just was and where Sammi and SLS was/will be born) are just amazing. They made me feel so comfortable and are sooo nurturing and just absolutely awesome. I'm not glad I was there of course...but in a weird way it made me super excited to be back in January to have the baby. (A positive visit!) I would recommend Clarian North to anyone.

Our last event of this super long blog post is Sammi's latest haircut! We took her to see Amy today with a huge mop of hair and Amy trimmed off all of those ratty baby hairs so that her hair will keep growing in stronger and longer! 

Sammi and daddy with her mop...
Getting started...(she wasn't too thrilled).
...Until we gave her a huge sucker to keep her busy! Then she was happy!
Maybe now we can finally schedule a family session/maternity session for ourselves. :) Somehow I have a feeling this baby might come before we have a chance to do those photos...hopefully not. :) I'm off to bed before a busy day tomorrow......thank you so much to everyone in our life who helps us, thinks of us, and are there for us through all of the ups and downs....we love you so much!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

sarah oliver said...

15 years from now Sammi can look back and say that she was in line 'voting' during an election that was country changing and very moving. You are good parents to vote and bring her with you. Hang in there, guys- easier, less stressful times are on the way! Love you!