Monday, September 29, 2008

24 week update (on everyone)

Welcome to the 24 week update! I'm thrilled to write very good news about SLS in this update after a troublesome week! So, I'll start our update with her. Last Wednesday I started feeling very crampy and on Thursday it got a lot worse. I worked on the computer from home Thursday with Sammi and after a long day of painful cramping in my lower abdomen, I thought maybe I just needed some exercise so I walked Sammi down to our neighborhood playground. (I'll pause here for some photos...)



We swung by the clubhouse to see our friend/neighbor Lisa (also happens to be the Property Manager for our neighborhood), and found myself just complaining and complaining about not feeling well to her----sorry, Lisa! So, we headed home. The pains in my stomach came and went and even woke me up several times throughout the night. Something didn't seem right. 

I called my doctors in the morning and spent a few hours in their office hooked up to a stress test. Everyone at the office was sooo sweet and accommodating and just made me feel so comfortable in their care! My stress test was showing some contractions, and even though they were small, they seemed concerned about having them so early. (NOT normal, even for a second pregnancy!) 

I was not dilated at all, so Dr. Meltzer told me he wanted me to rest, rest, rest all weekend and see how things were on Monday. Um....okay.......but we had a wedding Saturday!!! When I talked to him about it he cautiously said that I was allowed to work the wedding as long as my assistant (THANK YOU, NIKKI!) carried all of my equipment all day, and if I had any changes in my body or got concerned for any reason, that I would stop everything I was doing and called the doctor on call immediately to meet me at the hospital.

Saying I was worried about the wedding is an understatement. I knew in all reality that Dan could handle a wedding by himself if he had to, that our assistant Nikki was joining us and she is truly awesome, and that my doctor would be there for me if I needed anything day or night. Long story shorter...I did great the first five hours, had a bad relapse just in time for dinner which gave me a 1-hour break to sit and rest--it was truly perfect timing if it had to happen, and had just enough energy to shoot the main events following dinner while Dan took over most of the responsibility. We got home at a decent time and I went straight to bed. I stayed in bed in the morning later than usual, took it VERY easy all day Sunday, and as of today my cramping seems to be gone completely. WHAT A RELIEF. 

On a side note, Dan's mom, Kathe, had driven down from Fort Wayne to watch Sammi for the day (our usual wedding routine) and when we got home she had done all of the ridiculous piles of dishes and laundry that got backed up all week long from me not doing any housework. (Must have been at least 3 loads of dishes and 10 loads of laundry.....not to mention all of the toys she picked up and other cleaning around the house. Okay, I was a little backed up before last week!) Kathe is so amazing and I am sooooooo grateful for all that she does for us. Sunday was the first time in a while I felt like I could "breathe" in our (clean)  house again, all thanks to her.

So, that's my long SLS story with a happy ending, so far! I am definitely taking it easy though and resting as mush as possible. Dan carries Sam anytime we are together and I try not to lift anything that isn't necessary. Dan was going to surprise me with a big trip for my 30th birthday in two weeks but we decided it was best to cancel the plans to fly. We are going to drive to Chicago instead though and that will be a very fun weekend too! 

More fun things about SLS: she is kicking a lot lately! Dan can feel her sometimes but I can feel her pretty strong often and I love it! My gall bladder is holding steady and I can say for sure the one craving I've had this entire pregnancy is milk. Plain, with Ovaltine, in hot chocolate, in a protein shake, I can't get enough! :) (With Sam it was always peanut butter!) My belly is growing like crazy and all of my current maternity clothes are getting really snug...just in time to switch to fall clothes! :)

And an update on Sammi's latest learnings.... Well, she is learning new things in her new(er) classroom all the time! She can point to any kiddo or photo of a kiddo in her class and say his/her name right every time. Today I walked into her room where her cubby is to get her things and she pointed to a pacifier in another girl's cubby and said "paci". I said, "You're right, that is a paci." Then she said, "Norah", while still pointing at the paci. I looked up at the cubby and sure enough, Norah's name was on that cubby. Amazing! 

She is learning her colors. If you point to something red, pink, purple, or blue, she will almost always say the right color. She struggles with green, orange, and yellow. :) She loves working on her "ABC's" and so far the farthest we've heard her do them right by herself is "A, B, C, D, E". She also will chime in when we are doing them with her. Counting...she's getting pretty good at counting, but she always seems to miss 3 and 4 when she counts by herself. She says "One, two, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten!" It's funny to watch her because she holds her fingers up as if she's counting with the numbers but never holds up the right amount of fingers! :) 

On our last trip to Ikea we picked up a tunnel for her and she LOVES it! She crawls through it, hides in it, and tumbles around!



Other fun news: my parents sold their home in Evansville and they are officially moving into their new house TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!! 

For those of you who don't know, their new house is about 6 minutes from our door to theirs, and we are so excited to have them so close! They've already moved most of their things up, and they'll bring the last truck up tomorrow. I snapped a photo today (above) when I stopped by to grab some more of our frozen food from their used-to-be-empty freezer. (We transferred all of our food over when Ike hit and the power was off for what ended up being only 12 hours. We were soooo lucky! We've been retrieving it bit by bit since then.) 
Well, this post has turned into a novel, so I'm going to end it for now and pick up later this week if anything exciting should happen. I'm thankful we have a slow-moving week to catch up with TONS of office work like editing photos and designing wedding albums. I should do an update on the new studio soon...that would be a novel in itself! We are scheduled to move in the first week of November...yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much love and well wishes to you all!!!

No comments: