Sunday, December 7, 2008

crazy, crazy weekend

Oh my, we've had a busy weekend...some good things.....some, well....not the most fun! :) We started Saturday morning with a trip to Sam's school, Primrose, because they were having a special breakfast with Santa for all of the kids. 

They had a huge buffet of wonderful food. Sam settled for a blueberry muffin. :)
Then she had her photo taken with Santa. It was really cute! She was hesitant at first, but then Santa gave her a candy cane and asked her if she liked Dora and Sam went right to him. Once we get proofs of the photos from the photographer, we'll see if any of them turned out!
Remember all that baking I did Friday night? Well, I ended up making these pecan pie bites from scratch and it took me about 3 HOURS!!! (Had I known that ahead of time I would have never never never started them!) I took them to an annual ornament exchange party at my friend Lin's house for lunch and they won first place in the "best dessert" category! I guess the bragging rights made them worthwhile...they were good!
Here are some of the girls getting set up for the ornament exchange...so fun!!!
After the luncheon, I picked up Dan and Sam from home so we could get to Reece's 2-year birthday party! He had a train party and Lisa made all of these train cakes herself! Everything was sooo cute and sooo good! 
Lisa, Reece, and Joe blowing out birthday candles...
All of the kids got goodie bags full of train goodies!
Sammi couldn't wait to get hers opened!
Reece got lots of presents, including this awesome Power Wheels car! Sam was very interested in it... Hmm, we were contemplating getting her one for Christmas as her one big gift from us. Looks like it could be a hit if we decide to!
Then, it was cake time. Okay. This is where I must have lost my mind. Sam refused to eat anything for dinner at the party after eating tons of hotdogs earlier for lunch and a muffin for breakfast. For some reason, I decided that not only would it be okay to let her have some cake, but I let her eat an ENTIRE HUGE PIECE. And I mean, it was huge. And it was the reaaaaalllly good kind FULL of sugar and fat. (YUM.)
In the back of my mind I knew this was a bad idea, but she loved it so much, it just seemed like a special occasion, it was so cute to see her ask for more while she still had each huge bite in her mouth, and open wide for more, more, more cake please......

So that brings us to a night of what should have been sleep last night. Dan and I went to bed at midnight and I woke up to Sam sitting up in her bed saying "Uh oh" about 20 times without moving before I thought it might be a good idea to go in and check on her. This was around 2:30. Yup. Sure enough, her cake decided to revisit us...all over her, all over the bed. It was awful.

And here's the thing....she is sleeping in her big girl bed, which used to be the guest bed, so we only have one sheet set and one mattress pad. So, we had a choice: wait for an entire cycle of laundry to go through and put her back in bed or put her in her crib and risk confusing her (not to mention she really likes her new room and doesn't have much interest in the old one anymore.)

She was in a great mood and actually running around playing, so we opted to wait for the laundry while we read to her, fed her water and crackers, and calmed her back into sleepy mode. We did that, got the sheets back on, got her to lay down, got ourselves back in bed, and a half hour later as I was drifting into sleep I heard it again...."Uh oh. Uh oh". We did the cycle all over again and weren't back in bed until 5:30am. Sam slept well the rest of the night.....that is, until 6:45 when she was up and ready for the day! 

In summary, I made a very bad decision with cake, we slept from 12-2:30 and 5:30-6:45 total.....and I learned my lesson!!!!! (We obviously considered the thought she could just be sick with a virus, but she didn't get sick again, has not had a fever, and has been happy all day---just tired.) My parents were so awesome to pick up Sam around 8:30 when I called them feeling delirious this morning so I could go back to sleep. (We were going to their house at noon anyway for pizza and the Colts game.) I tried, and I did rest, but spent most of that time laying in bed thinking about all of the things I still need to do, especially Sammi's unplanned birthday party. It will all get done....it will all get done....and what doesn't get done, doesn't matter, right? :)

I'm off to feed Sam something healthy for dinner so that we can all get in bed super early tonight!!!!! Overall it was an awesome weekend!!!! 

Love and hugs!

No comments: